According to Glenn Croston, author of “75 Green Businesses You Can Start to Make Money and Make a Difference” believes that it’s a combination of business savvy and a commitment to the future that defines the successful green entrepreneur.”Ecopreneurs have got to believe in the importance of working for a greener future and a sustainable economy,” he says. It’s also important to “be a solid business person, someone who knows a good product and can deliver it.”
Entrepreneur’s article, “25 Common Characteristics of Success Entrepreneurs ” list 25 home business checklists required to start, operate and grow a profitable home business. Following is a review of 8 of those characteristics from an environmental business perspective. See if you have what it takes to be a successful sustainable business owner.
1. To begin, do what you enjoy. Embrace your passion. What areas of an environmental business inspire you? By embracing your passion, you are creating meaningful work for yourself and others.
2. Purposeful Planning: Sustainable business requires long term planning for the business itself, as well as designing products and services with eco awareness. Planning includes design, energy usage, resources and so much more. Be sure to take a comprehensive approach in your planning for business sustainability.
3. Manage money wisely: Consider managing cash flow as tools to not only help your business get off the ground but also as a means to integrate sustainability concepts to your business processes.
4. Know your customers and stakeholders. Just because you may be a home based business doesn’t mean you don’t have stakeholders. Learn who your stakeholders are and connect with them.
6. Level the playing field with technology. The internet is a small business resource that offers exceptional functionality for sales and marketing. Utilize online contact management software for sales and social media sites for marketing.
7. Build a top-notch business team with eco awareness. Consider conducting all of your sales in the most eco friendly means. This includes, bringing eco awareness to your meetings, sales, literature, travel, and exhibits.
7. Create a competitive advantage. Small businesses and entrepreneurs may be more equipped with the speed and flexibility to incorporate sustainability concepts directly into their business model. Create brand differentiation through successful implementation of sustainability concepts in your small business.
8. Design your workspace for success: Design your physical space with eco awareness. Create your policies and procedures to support sustainable business practices like recycling, energy efficiency, using less paper.
As a professional consultant in the area of building business sustainability, it’s rewarding utilizing the small business resources available to assist new environmental businesses get off to a great start. Ecopreneurs bringing eco awareness to business contribute to positive change in the business world as well as help the planet.
Filed under: Uncategorized