The Analysis (If you want to understand the science behind it all)
WE twendz pro culled the top 10 influencers retweeted (RT’d) by their followers, a calculation that is based solely on the number of times a person had their posts RT’d by others. You should know that this list is not impacted in any way by a person’s influence ranking, but simply how often they were RT’d. WE manually pulled the most popular tweets by these top 10 users in order to identify the tweets that had the most traction.
While a large follower base does play a significant role in a user’s content being RT’d, it does not necessarily mean that person is influential (quantity vs. quality). Take for instance, singer Avril Lavigne, with 292,099 followers. She was counted as one of the top ten RT’d users according to WE twendz pro, however she was not identified to be among the top 10 influencers during CGI. This could be due to her lack of engagement with her followers, frequency of posts, inclusion of links, etc.
A common thread among the influential Tweeters who were most frequently RT’d was their active use of hashtags and links, sharing key statistics or quotes, and their engagement with other Tweeters on a consistent basis (quality vs. quantity).
How You Can become Twitter Popular
What made these tweets so popular? There are a few key principles to keep in mind, especially, if you want to amp your own “re-tweet” worthy quotient:
- Follower base: Fairly simple. More followers equals more eyes which increases the likelihood your content will get retweeted. Waggener Edstrom stands by the belief of quality vs. quantity with regard to influence, but there is no denying that a user with 10,000 followers has more chance of pickup than one with 50 followers.
- Links: Actionable links are the lifeblood of Twitter. Provide a strong tie to the context you’re tweeting about and you’ll see much stronger likelihood for response.
- Stats & Quotes: Especially when live-tweeting at events, Twitter users want to consume quick nuggets of digestible information. This helps paints a strong picture for those unable to be physically present.
- Engagement: If your tweet can tie to another influencer via an “@reply”, you’re establishing credibility around what you’re tweeting.
- Content – Is King. Of course. Timely, relevant content that also fits into a conversation stream via a hashtag will increase the chances of drawing more eyeballs.
Our next post will explore the most significant content and news that came from CGI. If you want to wrap your head around whether cook stoves or cancer was a major theme, check out Innovation Conversations tomorrow.
via continue reading